UMCP Course Request

For Courses offered at University of Maryland, College Park

A student may enroll in University of Maryland, College Park courses outside the Smith School, but he or she must work closely with the Masters Program Office in order for the course to count towards their degree: 

Please Note:

  • If a course is being taken for enrichment (e.g., Beginning Golf) and is not being used as credit toward the degree, the student does not need MPO approval to enroll.
  • In order for a course outside the Smith School to count toward a student’s degree, the student must submit a request to the MPO prior to enrolling.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to contact the host department to determine eligibility to take the course and for permission to register.
  • A student may take no more than nine credits of courses outside the Smith School toward his or her degree. A student may take as many credits as they wish for enrichment.
  • Courses outside the Smith School may not have the same tuition and fee structure as those offered by the Smith School.

Step One: Find a class to take. Evaluate University of Maryland, College Park offerings and select a class. Classes must be graduate level and must complement the student’s degree program. 

Step Two: Students are responsible for contacting the appropriate UMCP school (i.e. School of Journalism, School of Engineering) to receive approval from the appropriate authority to enroll in the course.

Step Three: Complete the Course Request form

Step Four: Return the completed Course Request form and syllabus for requested course to your campus advisor to be reviewed for approval towards your MBA degree requirements. 

Step Five: Upon approval from the Masters Programs Office and the host school, the student is responsible for completing the relevant registration steps via Testudo. 

Note: If the course is canceled, dropped or changed, contact your campus advisor immediately. University of Maryland schedule adjustment deadlines apply for Smith students visiting other institutions.