Review the Spring 2018 course syllabus for reference.
The MBA Consulting Practicum is a 4-credit course and consists of semester-long consulting engagements with clients who have contracted with the Robert H. Smith School of Business to receive management consulting services. The course also integrates regular class time for project teams to receive timely instruction on a wide array of consulting skills to supplement the client engagement during the entire semester.
Be advised that the delivery of class content is primarily during Term C with minimal class commitment during Term D as project teams research and produce project deliverables.
Prior to the class starting, the faculty member will have a brief introductory call with each student. At this time, you should plan to communicate your goals for working with a client, the skill set you bring to the class, and the role you generally play on a team. The instructor will create teams for projects based on these interviews. Projects are sourced by the instructor, and the topics, industries, and types of clients vary, but generally, students will work with high-level decision-makers at smaller firms on strategy related projects. Projects typically include components requiring analytical skills.
Upon completion of the MBA Consulting Practicum course, students will gain a wide range of skills in a "living case" environment by:
- Defining project goals, deliverables, timelines, and processes with input from the client and project advisor or subject matter expert.
- Conducting appropriate investigation and analysis using a “systemic” perspective that will add value and maximize client satisfaction while maintaining the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct.
- Applying new concepts, tools, and frameworks that are taught throughout the Smith MBA curriculum, supplemented by in-class consulting skills instruction.
- Developing team building and leadership skills (partly in a virtual environment) that are necessary to succeed in any client engagement environment.
- Delivering high-quality oral and written reports to the client.