Independent Study for MBA Students
All Independent Study projects must be fully approved prior to the start of the term in which a student will be registering.
- MBA students may complete up to six (6) credits of independent study projects as part of their program of study.
- Individual independent study project may not exceed three credits.
- Independent study projects offered under the Smith School’s master's-level prefixes may only be completed under the supervision of a Smith School faculty member.
- Independent study projects will only be approved for registration at a student's home campus (e.g., a student admitted to the Baltimore program must register for an independent study course at the Baltimore campus).
- The project's description, objective, number of credits, etc. required for the Independent Study form must be agreed upon by both the student and the approving faculty member. Approval and signature must be obtained by the supervising faculty, the area chair and the chair of the MBA Oversight Committee.
- The student, faculty or chair will forward the signed form to your campus advisor in the Masters Programs Office (MPO) to be submitted for approval by the Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs. Once all signatures are received by MPO, the student will be provided the information on how to register for the correct independent study section.
- The independent study courses utilize the number 759 under each of the Smith School master's level prefixes.
- Independent study courses offered by any unit outside the Smith School may not be used toward the Smith MBA or MS degree.
Please contact your campus advisor with questions about independent studies, and to obtain and Independent Study Request Form.